Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I try to not post stuff like this because sometimes I think it would be lame, or boring to read. But I was just thinking about 9/11 and just trying to remember what I was doing that day. I was a freshman in college and I was the last to leave the apartment that day. My roommate had left the t.v. on and I thought that was odd. But as I was eating my breakfast, it suddenly hit me what was being reported. I was awestruck. I couldn't believe what was happening. It still seemed so far away from little old Logan Utah, but at the same time it was our country that was being attacked.
My mom called me as I was out the door and pretty much told me that this was a sign of the times and that the second coming was near. I just laughed because she is a kook like that sometimes. Some of my classes were canceled that day and some teachers acted like nothing was happening and we needed to move on with the lessons.
I hate to admit this but whenever I watch a memorial ceremony or some of those cheesy videos that went around soon after, you know what I'm talking about, I get a little teary eyed. I realize how much we take for granted. Kelly is taking some sort of communications class and one assignment was describe a "right" that everyone in the world should have. I couldn't think of any that we didnt' already have. We are "seriouslysoblessed" to be able to have this great country to live in. I know sometimes that we aren't the best example to the world, but how many women can say they can leave the house without their husbands permission, or hold a job? How many people can say they truly have freedom of speech? (ok don't get all politically correct on me, I am just trying to make a point). I'm talking world wide.
I will stop this rant, but just take a moment today to remember we have it pretty dang good.

4 comments:

Christy said...

carmelle...is your hand over your heart??? every day at noon baby!!

Thanks for the post - we do take alot for granted and it is nice to be humbled sometimes so that we can reflect on blessings :)

Meagan said...

I also remember that day very well. I think Sarah left before she found out and I got a call from the boyfriend who told me to turn on the TV. I couldn't believe it. I left the TV on so you'd be sure to see it too. I remember standing in the TSC, along with 50+ other students, watching the news coverage in complete silence. I enjoyed your post. I think sometimes people are scared to talk about stuff like that because there is always a critic out there who has a beef with the war, or constitutional rights, or any other number of things. But I agree that we should all just step back and be grateful. I mean we CAN be critical about our government if we so choose. We can do a lot of things that other people in other countries can't. We are very "blessed" to live here. Sorry to make such a huge comment, but I just wanted to tell you I agree. Maybe next time I'll stick with a simple "AMEN SISTA!"

Johny and Sarah said...

I was on the shuttle bus and heard it on the radio but didn't know what they were really talking about. And remember when we went to that fireside like the week or two before and after it all happened we all commented about how Pres. Hinckley knew what was up and was preparing us for this!! It was a pretty numbing experience and one that strengthened my testimony of a living prophet!!! Thanks for the post!!! Miss ya!

About us said...

I need your address fool. can you please text it to me!!!