Monday, September 1, 2008

Let me Explain

Being the avid reader of the Jaques' blog that you are, you may have noticed Kelly commenting on me dressing up as a giant frog for charity. So I will take the opportunity to explain.
Last week, Tuesday I think, our company was contacted by Make-A-Wish Foundation about getting some Signing Time! DVDs for a little boy with down-syndrome. He had two wishes: a big screen t.v. and for Signing Time! DVDs. So Rachel (the host and co-creator) decided it would be a fun surprise to present them to him herself. Passing by my desk she jokingly asked if I would dress up as Hopkins (akin to blues clues or some child mascot you know). I thought about it. I really wanted to go see a movie that night, but when she told me what it was for, I decided to do it. We met back at the office later that night and went to present our donation to him.
Now this costume consists of a green stir-up suit. I looked like the Grinch. Then were some shorts and shirt that went over the suit. Then come the feet and gloves. I couldn't walk or get my chapstick open. The head has a little fan it in to dispel the hot air and hopefully stinky breath you have. I practiced a little walking in the feet, but they were the size of swimming flippers.
We had to hide a little when we got to the M.A.W building. But when we came out, Rachel, Alex, Leah and me dressed as Hopkins, Rhett(the little boy) didn't quite know what to make of it. He was a little scared of Hopkins, but eventually warmed up and kept giving Hopkins high fives and knuckles. His family was so excited and surprised that we came. Rhett was so cute and was so excited to see his favorite characters. I had fun walking around and greeting other children. Sadly I did make a baby cry. She just wasn't sure about me, well Hopkins rather.
I can't describe the joy I felt seeing this little guys face light up. I won't go into detail about his and his family's struggles, but the whole family was so excited to see us there. It was well worth the hot muggy suit just to see the smile on Rhett's face. I now wish I worked at M.A.W and could see that every day as my job. As small of a part I was in this little boy's life, I am so grateful for the small opportunity to make him happy.
Here is a link to Rhett's family blog and I included some pic's of me making my debut as Hopkins the frog. Rachel is in the orange sweater, Alex is in the orange shirt, Leah is in the purple tank. Rhett is being held by his dad, he is in a green shirt. Me of course the large frog.



5 comments:

Johny and Sarah said...

That's Great Millie!! i'm glad to see you had an enjoyable time!! Thanks for sharing!!

Sarah

Pam said...

My husband and I were betting on whether it was a guy or girl in there. I told him it was a girl, he was for sure it was a guy....

I'm gonna have to tell him that I win!!

Anyways, I just wanted to tell you thank you so much for making our little boy so happy. I am sure it wasn't the most comfy thing to do, but you guys totally made our night. It was the best thing ever.

My kids are still talking about it, and Rhett keeps signing frog and hopping around. Hopkins is his new favorite friend.

Thank you again. Thank you so much

Amy Bateman said...

Look at you!
Will that be the last time you get to grace the costume?

Meagan said...

Green becomes you. What a cool experience.

Genna said...

Thanks for explaining, now instead of laughing at you, I just want to tell ya that was an awesome thing to do. Job well done!