Sunday, January 20, 2008

St. George Half-Marathon



I did it!! 13.1 miles baby, ya!! I had trained for three half-marathons and finally ran one. You may ask, is it worth it? Well looking back on running in 20 degree weather at night, aching joints, giving up my Saturday mornings to run and paying to run in a race, ya it was worth it. And if you don't understand that, then you must not be a runner. Just kidding I am sure there is something in every one's life they would put that much effort and time into to achieve.
My sister Meredith and I started training in October. I got sick with a nasty sinus infection three weeks before the race so I missed a long run. I did my best and pulled a 2 hour and 50 minute finish time, Mer pulled a 2 hour and 27 minute time. Go Mer!! This was both of ours first half- marathon. I stayed with her for about the first 3 miles and then she took off. Somewhere in between mile 1 and 2 there was these two horses running in their pen and one got so excited at all the comotion, he jumped over the barbed wires and started running through the neighborhood. We laughed the rest of race. Don't worry we drove by later and the big fella was back in his pen. The rest of the race was just a struggle to keep my head in. I made some friends along the way, but I had to beat them to the finish line so I left them after a while. I thought my knees were going to give out at mile 10, but I had to keep going. Luckily I only had three more miles to go. I finished as strong as I could. Now I am done till the next race.
We got into St. George Friday night, picked up our packets and then ate a huge carbfilled dinner at the Pizza Factory, I loved it. I ate so much bread. Saturday morning the race started at 9 a.m. After the race I enjoyed a freezing cold bath, and then a long soak in the hot tub. We just hung out the rest of the day and headed home Sunday morning. Besides the long a-- run in between it was a relaxing weekend. I included some pics of the race. Mer was sneaky when she came in so everyone missed taking pictures of her coming in. Thanks to my family for coming to support me. Thanks for the flowers Pam and Bret, for thinking of me. To Mer for putting up with my whining and training with me. Also a big shout out to Kelly for believing in me and not letting me give up.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so proud of you. Way to reach your goal...

Christy said...

Congrats little clummy!! You finally did it. You're awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats Camilley!! You always were a great runner. You are a funny girl, I liked the post you left on my blog for that you have to do the tag on your blog!

Chase and Amanda said...

I love that you are rockin the Sports Academy tee!!